Pages

Fjällräven Classic Sweden Day 2: Kebnekaise-Singi-Salka

So, it’s Day 2 of the trek! We woke up at 5am and I had a surprisingly good sleep, even though I still woke up multiple times due to it being slightly uncomfortable and not being used to sleeping in a tent etc. But, I was well-rested and ready to start the day! You can read about day 1 here.

It took us quite awhile to get ready to leave because we were still finding the routine of washing up, keeping our stuff and folding back the tent. It takes A LOT longer to keep the tent than set it up :/ We managed to start hiking at 7.50am after cooking breakfast (which was chocolate muesli! Read about the Real Turmat freeze dried food selections here). The terrain opens up to something more like a valley from Kebnekaise to Singi.


You’ll be walking next to a river, so there is no lack of fresh water.


You’ll also start crossing plenty of big rocks, so watch your step. The trekking pole really came in handy here.



Weather was windy and a little wet whenever a cloud passes by, so we kept our jackets and rain covers on. We generally tried to push a bit more in the morning, then take short breaks every hour or so once we started to feel a bit more fatigue. We reached Singi at 1130h, it was about 10.4km from the point we started. They give a reindeer wrap with mash potatoes and lingonberry sauce! The wrap was a bit big but it was extremely welcomed since I hadn’t eaten anything after breakfast.


It was a relatively short break because we left right after eating. We continued on for quite awhile and stopped at Kuoperjakka Sougan (it’s a rest stop) for lunch because it had a nice stream nearby and it was about 1430h. After that, it was about 7-9km more to Salka, so we decided to push on so that we could hit the Sauna that night!

We managed to reach Salka checkpoint and set up our tent near the Salka station with the sauna, which is 2km from the checkpoint.

Salka station

Sauna timings

I would highly recommend the sauna because I felt really warm and refreshed after and the one at Salka has hot water for you to bathe in! I went for the mixed gender timing so I wore a bikini but there are single gender ones as well. Some people aren’t comfortable with the nakedness of the whole experience but I personally am because I’ve been to many Japanese onsens, so it’s really up to you!

I tend to get tired at around 1-2pm because I would eat an early lunch snack and then a late proper lunch, so the in between periods would be difficult for me because I would start to get hungry and run out of energy at around 1pm. Also, the terrain is just generally rocky all the way, so that doesn’t quite help the feet. Again, I’m super thankful I got sturdy boots!

Total distance covered on Day 2: 23.79km

Read more about the Fjällräven Classic Sweden:
General Guide
Check in
Day 1
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5

No comments:

Post a Comment